$2.5B Gross Regional Product (2021)
One of the richest and most diverse agricultural and food-processing areas in Victoria.
Manufacturing contributes $1.8B per year (2021)
Opportunity awaits in smart manufacturing, the sector playing an irreplaceable role in the global economy of the future.
A flourishing tourist destination
A unique mix of great weather, culture, food and wine, natural beauty and events creates investment opportunities, especially in nature-based and agritourism.
A burgeoning mining sector
Campaspe’s seen an 80% increase in ABNs in the mining industry from 2017 to 2020 – significantly higher than the Victorian average of 2%.
Campaspe boasts a sought-after lifestyle, a strong representation of services, and a growing population and economy across multiple industry sectors.
- Located 180km north of Melbourne on the Victoria-New South Wales border.
- Home to 37,762 people, supporting 16,070 jobs, with an annual economic output of $5.674 billion.
- Key towns include: Echuca, Kyabram, Rochester, Rushworth and Tongala.
- Optimum for agriculture – warmer and drier than other parts of Victoria, and leveraging the Goulburn Murray Irrigation Network.
- Natural assets, including the Murray River, drive a rising tourism industry bolstered by events, a rich sense of history and culture, and local food, wine and accommodation offerings.
- Campaspe has a strong reputation for fostering innovation in sustainable resource management including solar and biomass energy.
- Stakeholders have described Campaspe’s business community as engaged and proactive, with long-term vision and open to innovation.
- Campaspe has huge potential to grow its existing gourmet food and wine presence.
Key infrastructure ready to support investment and innovation
- Campaspe’s strong agricultural and food manufacturing base have created an established supply chain with access to export markets. The diversity of the supply chain includes an established transport and logistics industry, and a large base of supportive professional, scientific and technical skills (engineering, agri-science and business services, lawyers, and accountants).
- Echuca Aerodrome has just received $2.35 million via the Regional Airports Program Round 3 for upgrade works which include a helipad, all weather access and upgrades to the runways, taxiways and lighting.
- Daily passenger train and coach services to and from Melbourne.
- Echuca Regional Health provides state-of-the-art health and hospital care to the shire with a staff base of 1,080, representing the equivalent of 625 full time staff.
- Kagome – Australia’s largest fruit and vegetable processor
- Simplot – Australian food manufacturer for brands including: Birds Eye, John West, Leggo’s and Edgell.
- Goulburn Valley Creamery – dairy product manufacturer
- Lactalis – dairy product manufacturer
- Kyvalley Dairy – large-scale dairy farmers and milk processors
- Echuca Distillery – distillery and bar
- Australian Consolidated Milk – dairy product manufacturer
- Fonterra – dairy product manufacturer
- HW Greenham & Sons – beef production and abattoir
- Kraft Heinz – food manufacturer
- Delorean Corporation – renewables and bioenergy
- Campaspe Shire offers a full selection of childcare options including council-run centres, private daycare facilities, and family daycare offerings.
- Childcare in Campaspe Shire is, on average, $34 cheaper per day than in Melbourne.
- 20 primary schools; 9 secondary schools.
- Bendigo TAFE has an Echuca campus.
- LaTrobe and Monash universities have campuses in nearby Bendigo and University of Melbourne and La Trobe have campuses in Shepparton.
- Campaspe Shire Council has an economic development specialist for the purpose of supporting investment in the region.
- Every two years the Council recognises outstanding local business through its business awards.
- C4EM (Committee for Echuca Moama) advocates for the issues initiatives to make Echuca Moama a better place to live, work, and play.
- Rochester Business Network and Kyabram Chamber of Commerce support local businesses with events and promotion.
- A Victorian Mining Equipment, Technology and Services (METS) hub helps drive greater connection, and access to domestic and international supply chains, in the mining sector.
- Port of Echuca Discovery Centre Refurbishment – $600,000 Victoria State Government Regional Tourism Investment Fund. Redevelopment and enhancement of the Port of Echuca Discovery Centre, including digital activation and experiences, Aboriginal interpretive experiences, activation of log slip into working museum, along with retention of ship wright construction skills and programs.
- Echuca-Moama Bridge Project – A second Murray River crossing between Echuca and Moama (completed 2022) has the ability to take higher-mass vehicles, increasing the possibilities for freight both from and to the region.
- Gargarro Botanic Garden – $1.485M Victoria State Government Regional Infrastructure Fund. Delivering a sensory garden, a welcome gateway, ephemeral water feature, lookout, and parkland garden. Includes an amphitheater and a new cafe/function space.
- Rushworth to Murchison Rail Trail – This project has secured $2.9M with $1.5M through Bushfire Recovery funding with the balance funded through Council.
- Waranga Basin – Victorian Fisheries Authority funded a new boat ramp, amenities block and water treatment system at Harrimans Point.
- Echuca Aquatic Reserve – Total project value $4.5M; funding required $3M. Developing infrastructure linkages to support a defined events precinct stretching from the historic wharf and heritage precinct to the Aquatic Reserve – home of the award winning Riverboats Music Festival. The sharing of Echuca’s Aboriginal culture is integral to the project.
- Kyabram Fauna Park redevelopment – Melbourne Zoo took over the Kyabram Fauna Park in October 2022 which will increase the investment and bring facilities and programs up to modern tourism standards.
- Heathcote to Murchison Rail Trail project – The completion of the rail trail between Rushworth and Murchison will form part of the strategic link between the Campaspe Shire and the Cities of Greater Shepparton and Greater Bendigo.
- Echuca Station Precinct master plan implementation –Including shed retrofitting, plaza development, land clearance, site decontamination, addition of DDA compliant pedestrian crossing, car park extension, and bus drop station relocation.
Learn more about some of the businesses in our region – why they chose Loddon Mallee, and their vision for the future.
Echuca Distillery – Pure ingredients, pure spirits
“Crafted and bottled in the legendary river port town of Echuca Moama, our craft spirits are 100% pure thanks to a combination of naturally derived botanicals, the best ingredients we can source and the ancient craft of distilling.” – David De Vries, Founder/Creative Director
Kyvalley – Five generations of transformation
“The business has significantly benefited from adopting innovative solutions, through reduced costs and improved market access compared to competitors.” – Joanna Savva, General Manager, Sales and Marketing
Get in touch
WE’RE HERE TO HELP
Do you have a question about starting up or scaling up in the Loddon Mallee?
Complete the form and we’ll provide expert local support.